Monday, October 1, 2012

Earthquake




When I asked my parents about the 1974 movie "Earthquake", I didn't get a grand reaction out of them like I was hoping. My dad had never heard of it and my mom said "I think I saw it on VHS in junior high". After I reminded her of the plot, she sort of remembered. She said, "It was a devastating movie and now that I think about it, it remind me of 9/11. People were stuck in this building and it was scary." Obviously she didn't have anything to say about the effects because she didn't see it in the movie theater. The movie was meant to be an "Event Film" to bring the audience back to see the movie again over and over. To make it have impact, "sensurround" was used which meant a bunch of large speakers and an amplifier would create "infra bass" sound waves to make it seem like a real earthquake was happening. People in the audience were not used to these effects and many panicked when seeing the movie. Some ran out, some had heart attacks. It was not for the fatal heart. Even some of the ceiling tiles in the theater would move, making it all more real.


No comments:

Post a Comment