Tuesday, September 4, 2012

August 29th

Our topic discussion in class began in the 1300s with the Renaissance. We talked about how preserved culture leads to a Renaissance for everyone else and dove into a brief history covering the Baroque era which I found to be interesting. In this time, people began to get richer leading to a transformation in culture including the dress, music and art (a.k.a Nouveau Riche). Why did this happen? Gold! When Spain came over and discovered the Americas, they not only wiped out a large portion of the Native American population but came to find gold, tobacco, tomatoes, potatoes, chocolate and sugar.

 I remember in American History we talked about Eunuch's which were also males who were castrated to become better servants for the royal court. In AAT class, we began talking about Opera and the castration of males to preserve their boyish voices and prevent the changes of puberty. One example is Farinelli. This is a type of body modification. When "body modification" was mentioned, piercings, tattoos and crazy hair immediately popped into my head, but the gender modifications are even more of an actual body modification if you think about it.

I have never been a huge fan of opera, but maybe that is because I have never given it a fair chance. Maybe I do like opera? I suppose I will find out when I complete this weeks homework and watch an opera made before 1920. I believe Les Miserables is an opera but I will have to double check. If so, I will definitely invest my time into watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment