Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Broadway!



I LOVE Broadway. Maybe that's just the Thespian inside me talking, but something about the eager excitement mixed with the detailed costumes really grabs my attention. It's funny because I hate signing - I am a terrible singer for one. I even switched out of chorus....So you would think I would lack any appreciation for this genre and just stick to plays. Nope. My very first Broadway show was Wicked when I was in the seventh grade. I even read the book after because I was so captivated. I have since seen Memphis and Lion King and off-Broadway productions of Jump, Rent and Stomp. Rent is probably one of my absolute favorite movies and I might have watched it 10 times before going to see it. I one day hope to see Rock of Ages and Chicago.



 I watched Wicked Behind the Emerald Curtain to get a better look at what kind of technology was used that the audience might not necessarily be thinking about  while watching. The video on the left is just an example of one of the many videos available to watch. I realize that in the making of a musical, there are so many different aspects that must be looked at and put together, which all involve different technologies. If you listen to the description of how the monkey costumes are made, you realize how much time has to be put into just one costume. I liked the idea of the wing harness screwed into the back harness. These costumes aren't just thrown on loosely, they fit together perfectly and are mechanical. The hair is so life-like and comes from Susan Humphrey's original sketches. I also didn't know how many measurements went into making the wigs!

Think about the number of people and amount of time has to be put into the ENTIRE musical. Every single detail has have thought put into it from the color of tights, to lip color, to architecture.


No comments:

Post a Comment